What are the benefits of the Marina ObGyn Surgeons performing my surgery with the DaVinci Robot?
- Studies show, and Dr. Lipeles, Dr. Vermiare, and Dr. Rostami patients report, that there are fewer operative and post-operative complications compared to patients who had their surgeries performed by open means (laparotomy) or traditional straight stick laparoscopic surgery.
- When Dr. Lipeles, Dr. Vermiare, and Dr. Rostami performs surgery with the DaVinci Robot, their patients rarely stay overnight in the hospital. If for some reason they need to stay in the hospital, their stay is a drastically shorter amount of time than patients who had open surgery (laparotomy), traditional laparoscopic and vaginal surgery.
- It is extremely rare for Dr. Lipeles, Dr. Vermiare, and Dr. Rostami to have to covert to an open approach when using the Robot.
- With da Vinci, you will only have a few small incisions compared to an open procedure thus having small scars after surgery
- Recovery time is cut in at least half after Robotic Surgery compared to other surgical approaches to the same conditions. Post op pain scores and use of narcotic pain medication is much lower after robotic surgery.
What is the DaVinci Robot?
DaVinci Robot is the most technologically advanced surgical equipment in the world. The system consists of A high-definition, 3D magnified, camera that provides your surgeon a crystal clear view inside your body. Every hand movement Dr. Lipeles, Dr. Vermiare, and Dr. Rostami make is translated by the da Vinci system in real time to bend and rotate the instruments with precision. The da Vinci® surgical system gives your surgeon an advanced set of instruments to use in performing robotic-assisted minimally invasive surgery. The term “robotic” often misleads people. Robots don’t perform surgery, Dr. Lipeles, Dr. Vermiare, and Dr. Rostami performs surgery with da Vinci by using instruments that he or she guides via a console. The da Vinci® surgical system gives them an advanced set of instruments to use in performing robotic-assisted minimally invasive surgery. The tiny wristed instruments move like a human hand, but with a greater range of motion. The instrument size makes it possible for the doctors of Marina ObGyn to operate through a few small incisions.
Is DaVinci surgery an option for my surgery?
- DaVinci Robotic surgery has revolutionized the ability of Surgeons around the world to perform life changing minimally invasive procedures. The DaVinci Robot is most commonly used to remove fibroids (myomectomy), Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), ovarian cystectomy, oophorectomy (removal of ovary), salpingectomy (removal of fallopian tubes), sterilization, and treatment of endometriosis.
- There are a few conditions that make you NOT a candidate for Robotic Surgery. If for any reason the surgeons of Marina ObGyn feel that Robotic surgery is not the safest means to treat your condition, they will discuss all the risks, benefits and alternatives to both robotic surgery and other approaches. Some exclusions include, but are not limited to, massively large fibroids, advanced stages of endometriosis, and suspected cancer.
How experienced are the Surgeons of Marina ObGyn on the DaVinci Robot?
Dr. Lipeles has been doing robotic surgery for over 7 years. Because of his robotic surgical skills, he has been asked to serve as a trainer and proctor for other surgeons wanting to learn how to perform robotic surgery. Dr. Lipeles performs robotic surgeries almost every week. In Residency, Dr. Rostami was trained by world renown robotic surgeons. Now that she has 3 years of experience performing robotic surgery, watching her on the robot is like watching ballet.